The Summer Palace
In December 1998, UNESCO included the Summer Palace on its World Heritage List. It declared the Summer Palace an "outstanding expression of the creative art of Chinese Landscape Garden Design, incorporating the works of humankind and nature in a harmonious whole."
The Summer Palace began as the Garden of Clear Ripples in 1750. Artisans reproduced the Garden Architecture styles of various palaces in China. Kunming Lake was created by extending an existing body of water to replicate the West Lake in Hangzhou. The palace complex suffered two major attacks - during the Anglo-French allied invasion of 1860 (with the Old Summer Palace also ransacked at the same time), and during the Boxer Rebellion, in an attack by the eight allied powers in 1900. The garden survived and was rebuilt in 1886 and 1902. In 1888, it was given its current name, Yihe Yuan. It served as a summer resort for the Empress Dowager Cixi, who diverted 30 million taels of silver, said to be originally designated for the Chinese navy, into the reconstruction and enlargement of the Summer Palace.
Opening time: 8:00 to 17:30 in summer and 8:30-16:30 in winter.
Ticket: 30 yuan for main entrance and 60 yuan for thorough tickets in busy season; 20 yuan and 50 yuan for all pass in off season.
Transportation: Bus: No. 209, 330, 331, 332, 346, 394, 712, 718, 726, 732, 696, 683, 801, 808, 817, 826, arrive at Yiheyuan Donggongmen (East Gate); No. 303, 330, 331, 346, 375, 384, 393, 634, 716, 718, 696, 683, 801, 808, 817, 834, and特5, arrive at Yiheyuan beigongmen (North Gate); No. 374, 437, 704, 992, 481, and 952, arrive at Yiheyuan jiangongmen (Jiangong Gate).
|Copyright © China.org.cn. All Rights Reserved 京ICP证 040089号 京公网安备110108006329号
网络传播视听节目许可证号:0105123 京公网安备110108006329号 京网文0252-085号